Sunday, September 28, 2008

I AM: Chetan Bhagat

Chetan Bhagat
I am: Chetan Bhagat (TOI Photo)
I am more of a spiritual person than religious. God, for me, is the inner voice within us, the higher power that we must all surrender to.

The traditional interpretation of God as Ram or Sita or in temples is also important but being spiritual is more important to me. I think if you are not spiritual, you tend to reduce everything about God and religion to rituals and superstitions.

I pray to God every day but I am not ritualistic in any sense, i don’t chant any specific mantra or pray in a specific manner. I just talk to God like I would to a friend. I tell Him about my day and thank Him for everything he has given me.

I don't consider things to be lucky or unlucky and don’t wear any amulets. The reason i stay away from such things is because once you start believing in these things you kind of become dependent on them, it becomes an obsessive compulsive disorder, so to say.

I believe whatever has happened to me in life is because of God's grace. I never expected my first book to do so well and I know deep down it wouldn't have become an all-time best seller without God's will.

My second book starts with a phone call from God. It's my way of telling my readers to listen to their inner voice, which for me is God. I believe nothing can go wrong in life if you follow your instincts and have faith in the ultimate Super Power.

However, one should not lose faith in God if things do go wrong. I often self-talk myself out of a crisis, visiting temples also helps but just forgetting about the future and living in the present works best for me.

I believe one should not take life too seriously. I am not a serious guy but I think I am quite sincere in everything that I do. Sincerity always pays. I tell my sons to believe in themselves and in God.

Believing in God makes you humble and keeps you grounded even in the face of adversity. If you want to make it big in life, you have got to have faith in God and trust His will. Believing in God only helps, it never hurts.

No comments: